Meet the amazing pickleball pro Jennifer Lucore. Lucore has been collecting gold medals since she first started competing, and she deserves every one. As the former USAPA newsletter editor, Lucore knows this sport inside and out!
PBC: Can you list for us your major wins so we can correctly introduce you to our readers?
- USAPA Nationals VI 2014, Buckeye, AZ; GOLD Open Women’s Singles, GOLD Open Women’s Doubles (with Alex Hamner); GOLD Women’s Doubles 35+ (with Alex Hamner)
- Grand Canyon State Games, El Mirage, AZ – GOLD Doubles 5.0 (third year in a row with Alex Hamner!), GOLD doubles 35+, GOLD mixed 19+.
- So Cal Summer Classic, Oceanside, CA – GOLD open doubles, GOLD 35+ doubles, GOLD open singles, Bronze open mixed doubles.
- Pickleball Canada National Open Championship 2014, Abbotsford, BC Canada – GOLD open singles (third year in a row) and SILVER open doubles.
- Tournament of Champions, Ogden, UT – GOLD doubles masters – open, GOLD mixed doubles masters – open. GOLD doubles masters – open
- USAPA Nationals V 2013, Buckeye, AZ; GOLD Open Doubles (third year in a row with Alex Hamner), GOLD 35+ mixed doubles, SILVER Open Singles, SILVER 35+ doubles. · Pickleball Canada National Open Championship 2013, Abbotsford, BC Canada – GOLD open singles and GOLD open doubles (second year in a row for singles and doubles with Darcy Jacobsen).
- Tournament of Champions, Ogden, UT – SILVER open doubles. USAPA Nationals 2012, Buckeye, AZ; GOLD Open Singles, GOLD Open Doubles, GOLD Singles 19+, GOLD Doubles 35+, GOLD Mixed Doubles 35+. Yes, 5 GOLD medals!
PBC: What paddle do you play with and why?
JL: I always juggle between a few paddles because it is important to have the right tools (paddles) for all the various playing conditions – indoor, outdoor, windy, hot, cold, doubles, singles… Yes I usually play with a different paddle for singles – looking for more power, and doubles looking for more touch…
PBC: What’s your pickleball story? How were you introduced to pickleball?
JL: Her first exposure to pickleball was in 2007 when she was vacationing with her family and met up with her parents, Bob and Bev Youngren, in Bend, OR for a fun family tournament. There she saw how all ages can compete and have a great time together. She attended the first USAPA Nationals in 2009 for a mini vacation and to just watch her parents compete. In 2010 she started playing and from there caught the love and passion for this game and the people that play.
PBC: What’s your preference — playing indoor or outdoor?
JL: I am from San Diego, the joke is we are not allowed to play indoors, we usually have outdoors available EVERY DAY! 🙂
PBC: What’s your day job?
JL: My day job is running my own marketing business. I help clients with their marketing needs from public relations, website design/maintenance to social media. I have been in marketing for over 14 years. For pickleball I was the USAPA newsletter publisher for two and half years, I enjoyed it, but recently ran out of time for that…
PBC: Do you mind sharing about your personal life? Are you single? Married? Kids?
JL: I am knocking on the “senior” door (48 years old), I am married with two girls 19 and 22, my husband is a Chief at a fire department. I LOVE LOVE PICKLEBALL. The wonderful people you meet is the best, I highly recommend pickleball to EVERYONE.
PBC: Anything else you’d like to share about your experience being one of the best pickleball players in the world?
JL: Through pickleball, Jennifer has been able to travel and meet great friends from around the country; and internationally (Yay Canada! and look for her in 2015 in Spain and Italy)
Thanks again, Jennifer!
Want to watch videos of Jennifer playing?